Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sounding Out Loud: A resolution and winter tunes


Happy new year! Whoa that was slow, I thought that one was gonna take forever!! An oil spill, an annoying little internet gremlin airing our dirty laundry, North Korea actin' a fool, and the European financial system resting on the head of a pin this year was one for the books.  And as all this was going on I had the gall, no the nerve, I had the nerve to not update this blog regularly.  I know the only joy in your fickle hopeless days of endless labor, rests on the insight and aesthetic principles dependably dosed to you by yours truly.  Yes, the impact of SoundOutLoud on its vast readership in incalculable,  and being aware of the needs of my followers, I somehow did not think it kind to update you.  In addition to the infrequency of my posts I feel as though the quality has suffered as well. Single link Youtube videos and not a recipe in sight, the sincerity was seriously lacking. Is this what the dedicated followers of SoundOutLoud deserve?? I think not.

I have been cooking many interesting new dishes and picking up some great music from a few new spots. Between backyard barbecues (thought most certainly not in this weather) and a new cast iron skillet I have many adventures and tips to share with you. I no longer scour the blogs as much as I used to but I have been finding some vinyl gold in my new Chicago diggs. The Maxwell Street Market every Sunday has been quite prosperous. I've picked up some Teddy Pendergrass, Chic, James Brown, Kool and the Gang, Tyrone Davis, The Impressions, Smokey Robinson, Michael Jackson, and others. Chicago is a funky funky town indeed...

So be sharp and stay light on your feet young readers!  I hope that this third year of blogging will be just as good as the first and better than the second, maybe even better than the first two entirely. Who knows?I certainly don't, but I do have a feeling about it... Exciting things. So to cap off this apology and I guess what is now a resolution, I will leave you with a mix of winter jazz.  Some cool music to fit the wintery scene and provide a relaxing backdrop for nights quietly reading at the homestead, for fear of some horrible blizzard outside. Jazz fits the scene so well. The dark windy nights, that tumbler of whisky sitting next to your computer, and that copy of War and Peace that has been taking you FOREVER to read.  So enjoy. If you are inside you might as well surround yourself with great music.


Cheers, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, Peace, and Goodwill Towards Men/Women, Etc..

SoundOutLoud

Click Here -->Winter 'o Jazz Mix 2010-2011

Tracklist:

01-Black Narcissus    4:52    Joe Henderson    Power to the People 
02-07.Black Beauty    3:25    Ahmad Jamal    The Legendary Okeh & Epic Sessions
03-Smoke Gets in Your Eyes    5:01    Bobby Broom    Bobby Broom Plays for Monk  
04-Negro    2:35    Geraldo Vespar    Samba Nova Geracao   
05-06 If I Should Lose You    5:13    Hank Mobley    Soul Station
06-C.T.A.    5:07    Lee Morgan    Candy
07-02 Love for Sale    7:05    Cannonball Adderly    Somthin' Else
08-Deception    2:48    Miles Davis    Birth Of The Cool
09-Dance Cadaverous    6:46    Wayne Shorter    Speak no Evil
10-Star Dust    10:16    Donald Byrd And Pepper Adams    Motor City Scene
11-Mack The Knife (German - Lotte Lenya)    3:07    Weill, Kurt    Three Penny Opera

4 comments:

  1. this is a great mix - i haven't listened to it yet but anything starting with "black narcissus" and ending with "mack the knife...."

    i, too have begun blogging again recently. after a yearlong interval!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear. Looking forward to reading it! I should link to you over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back - glad I decided to check in. I missed Sound Out Loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good mix, man. I feel that bit about post quality-dips. In keeping a daily blog I'm only satisfied with about ten posts in the month, and then I'm only proud of one or two. (usually just one)

    ReplyDelete